I can't believe I'm blogging...

...Thus begins the inside life of yet another person - friend, sister, daughter, muso (I love that word), lover of God, lover of life, runner, worshipper - who sits randomly around the world in Jerusalem, Israel and has joined the ranks of those who also sit somewhere and think and ponder and then write...How exciting.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Rock On!

So, Everyone, last night I officially did a "concert" at a place in Jerusalem called The Jamm. It's a pretty chilled out coffeeshop/hangout place that usually has open mic nights or smaller bands come in.

It was kind of the first time I performed as a 'frontman' (or woman really, what's the PC way of saying that) of a band - a band that's not really a band at all. It was the first - and probably last - time all 3 of us will play together - Austin, a volunteer here from Texas who is leaving in a week, played guitar and sang backup and of course longtime fave drummer, Joel "the madman" Hilsden joined us.

So I did about 8 originals and 4 cover songs - mostly obscure or really old cover songs that people would have never heard of anyway - even threw in a Collective Soul song "The World I Know" because it mentions New York City, oh and a random band called Plumb has a great melo-dramatic ballad called "Cut" which I love because of the piano part.

Anyway, I think it all flowed pretty well depsite the fact that all 3 of us never practiced at the same time. I got to sit with Austin 2 times and teach him my songs - and I saw Joel about 2 hours before the show and showed him some stuff...

It's very different to hear your own songs being played band-style. I'm always writing/singing by myself at the piano and have thought through some ideas of what it could possibly sound like, but you never really can tell. All of a sudden my cutesey little song "Fly" which I have recorded on CD with just me and piano, turned into this Evanesence-y type song that gets pretty heavy at the end with the drums and stuff...Hmmm. Pretty exciting.


SO a LARGE thank you to all my friends who came out to watch and hopefully enjoy the show! You guys are COOL and maybe there'll be more....

6 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like it went awesome. Wish we were there. Did anyone record the night?

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds great, Em! Guess what?? I may actually finally be coming to Jerusalem for work in June/July...although only God knows what part of the world you'll be living at that point. =)

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a digital camera video of one of the songs Em did, "Cut". I'll figure out what I can do to post it up for y'all - if Em allows me to, that is... :p

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wish i could have been there....looks amazing, good job emso!can't wait to hear some of your stuff......love you
cx

 
At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there - it was fantastic. Do more concerts!

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just know it was awesome! Wish I was there. Sigh.......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home